History of Binghamton


Binghamton is located in the state of New York, and is part of the Broome County. The greater metropolitan area has a population of over 250,000 people, while Binghamton counts 47,000+ of its own. The city was named after William Bingham, who was from Philadelphia. Bingham bought the land of the area in 1792. Before Bingham bought the land it was discovered by the Sullivan Expedition in 1779.

It wouldn’t be until 1802 that a community of people would be settled in the land. At that point, it was known as Chenango Point. The city was incorporated in 1834 and finally became a city in 1867. Binghamton history was made again when Abel Bennett, an owner of a successful coal company, assumed the role of mayor. The farm he once controlled on the west side of Binghamton is called the Abel Bennett Tract to this day. It is found on landmark streets like Beethoven, Seminary Avenue, Chestnut Street and St. John Avenue.

Binghamton, NY history continues into the 19th and 20th century. Binghamton earned its nickname of the “Parlor City” thanks to its numerous stately mansions. Some of the former homes now operate as funeral parlors. The city experienced phenomenal growth in the 1800s and 1900s when an influx of immigrants entered the city. This lent the city another nickname: the “Valley of Opportunity.”

In the year 1950, the city peaked with 85,000 residents. However, with the decline of the war, and of the prosperous 1980s decade, the population split in half. There are six carousels left over in the greater city area, as evidence of the prosperity of 1950s Binghamton. This has led to Binghamton’s nickname as the Carousel Capitol of the World. There are only 150 carousels in existence, and Binghamton has the largest collection.

For more on Binghamton facts and points of interest, continue browsing this site. Binghamton is officially recognized by the National Register of Historic Places.

SHARE